Thursday, September 11, 2014

IMTS 2014

Jim Graff visiting Star at IMTS 2014
I've spent every day this week at IMTS 2014, the International Manufacturing Technology Show. It's held every 2 years in Chicago. The 2014 show is the largest, in number of exhibitors and visitors, I've seen in recent years. 

Yesterday, my wife, Ronni,  came to IMTS and wanted to see the exhibit getting heavy media coverage, the Local Motor's 3D printed car.  Frankly, I wasn't impressed. We'd missed the printing; all we saw were a few mechanics assembling the car.

I was more interested in the exhibits from Star, Citizen, Schutte and other machine tool builders.  Ronni oohed and aahed over the new machines with me. Then, she asked how much they cost. I could guess, but I didn't have an answer. 

We're accustomed to seeing prices on items when we shop. The annual Chicago Auto Show is the other large show we attend.  Most cars have prices and features clearly listed. Many exhibitors have computers where customers can build and price a car to their specifications.     

We asked a salesman  at one booth for the price of a machine. After he tapped characters into his smart phone for about 15 minutes, we explained that an estimate would be fine, and he gave us a figure.

Later, we ran into a customer who was also visiting IMTS. We discussed the lack of prices on the machines. He agreed that buyers would prefer to know the cost of the machines they're seeing.

I'm glad to see so many exhibitors and visitors. However, I believe business would be better if machine tool makers adopt 21st century marketing practices. Clearly label machines with prices and features at IMTS and on manufacturer websites. Let customers select the features they need, and price a machine that meets their specifications. Giving customers what they want is essential for business success. Is anyone out there paying attention?

No comments:

Post a Comment